We are raising money for the board to continue in 2020 and beyond. We are run by volunteers and the servers that our systems run on are not free. We hope you'll be able to help.
DONATE TODAY

How quickly can barometric pressure change?

Do you have a question about the weather?
KTtom
Owner
Owner
Favourite Season: Winter

Re: How quickly can barometric pressure change?

Post by KTtom » Tue May 19, 2020 8:03 pm

isaac wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 7:08 pm
Hello all,
I’m new to the forum, so I hope I’m not breaking any rules by posting here. I did have a look through the other posts to see if the question had been asked before.
I’m an engineering student working on a project with drones, and I’m trying to solve a height calculation problem using barometric pressure sensors. I know that the barometric pressure changes over time at a given altitude and location, but I’m struggling to find reliable information about how quickly it changes.
I would like to know how quickly the pressure can change within reason (not an approaching hurricane). A likely scenario could be a nice summer day with an approaching storm. I'm interested in the rate of change over short time periods, pascals per minute for example.
I would be very grateful if any meteorologists could share their experience here or point me in the direction of some good data sets.
Cheers
Hi Isaac

Firstly, welcome to the forum, great to have you aboard, and please feel free to join in ....preferably with easier questions than that :?
We are a friendly forum, mainly bias towards winter weather, hence its a bit quiet here now. Unfortunately, I cant answer your question, to be honest I dont think there can be an answer, it all depends on the how high the starting pressure is and how deep the approaching depression?
The highest pressure recorded in the UK is 1053 mbar and the lowest 926 mbar, the chances of both of those occurring in a short time I would think is very low.

Sorry i cant be of more help.

Return to “Your Weather Questions Answered”