Winter 2017/2018 review

Come and have a cosy chat in here about anything autumn or winter related, including #uksnow (UK Snow)
Weather Addict
Weather Addict
Favourite Season: More than one

Winter 2017/2018 review

Post #1 by CousinJack » Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:22 am

Well for us on the South coast temps are back in to plus figures and it looks like the cold weather has moved north. It looks like it was an almost historic cold spell for some and for others nothing at all. There were other periods of snow throughout the winter so how was it for you? I'll kick off as it seems the cold wetaher has left us first.

Compared to the previous 5 years 17/18 was a great improvement, we finally saw a bit of snow if only 3 light coverings that didnt make it past mid morning. The first covering of a few mm came on February 7th then we had two futher coverings of about half an inch during the cold spell, the tops of the Downs had a couple of extra coverings but again nothing to write home about. Yes it was very cold for a few days during the cold spell but on two of those days we actually had strong sunshine so it didn't feel so cold on the Tuesday and Wednesday, it felt bitter on the Thursday and Friday in the strong wind and cloud cover. We were lucky as i know other places fairly close by saw no lying snow at all this winter, Worthing in the West and Dover in the East.

We had plenty of frosts but none in January which was fairly mild, late November/December and February were the coldest periods. I also noticed it has been pretty dry here, we had a couple of storms but not too much compared to the previous few years, the last 18 months hasve been much drier and i noticed a piece in the paper saying that local resovoirs were running at about 50% leading to speculation of hose pipe bans this comming summer.

The winters from 2009 to 2013 were much snowier for us resulting in some memorable events and comparing this winter to those it doesnt even come close. With a bit of luck we will see better next winter as this one just seemed like a very typical winter.

All local weather data comes from Sussex University weather station, about 3 miles away:

This topic has 4 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login

Return to “Winter, UKSnow and Autumn Chat”