Bright streaks in the sky

For those new to UK Weather Watch, a friendly and warm welcome.

Topic author
ChrisD
Favourite Season: More than one

Bright streaks in the sky

Post by ChrisD »

Hi folks.

I've just joined UKWeatherWatch. I live near the New Forest in Hampshire, and my first question isn't exactly about weather, more about an atmospheric phenomenon that I saw on Tuesday morning (30 March 2021).

I was driving slightly north of east across the Forest at about 6:20am, a bit before sunrise. There was high thin cloud. Ahead I saw what I first thought was an aeroplane contrail, lit brightly from beneath, and angled upwards from about 8 o'clock to 2 o'clock. It wasn't a contrail though -- it was quite short and didn't get any longer during the few minutes that I saw it. And then another streak appeared to the left of the first, at a completely different angle. And then a third, and a fainter fourth one, all at angles that seemed unrelated to each other.

The first streak was bright yellow, the others fainter. The third one was noticeably bluish and slightly iridescent.

I didn't have time to stop and take a photo, but other early morning commuters must have seen it too. I can't find any photos online (https://www.atoptics.co.uk/ for example) that match what I saw.

Any ideas? I could try to draw a diagram of what I mean if anyone is interested.

Cheers,

Chris

This topic has 3 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login

Return to “Introductions and Welcomes”